Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Kurai onrum illai

Kurai onrum illai maraimoorthy kanna
Kurai ondrum illai kanna
Kurai ondrum illai govinda

I heard this song in the ad of shakthi Masala. The voice of MS Subbulakshmi; strong and graceful, and amazing. The lines were very simple. This simple structure impressed me alot. My eyes starts to shed tears once I start to listen the song. I really do not know why still...

I am sure it’s a subtle combination of simplicity & meaningfulness. This is hard to find in a song. That too nowadays...

It means:
I have no complaints, my Lord
None
Lord of Wisdom
Kannan!
Though you stand
Where I cannot see You,
My light, my very eyes,
Protector of all beings,
I know You sustain me
O Lord of the pure Venkata hill!
You meet my hunger, my thirst
My hope, my prayer
You keep me from harm,
I need nothing else
Father of the Seven Hills,
Govinda! Govinda!

You stand veiled by a screen
Which only the learned can part
For they are wise
Which I am not
But no, no complaints have I.
You stand as the crown of Venkata
Giver of Boons
Immutable God
Father to these hills
I have no complaints
Govinda! Govinda!

In this Kaliyuga
You have entered the sanctum
You have come to stay at Tirumala
Where, though I see you not,
I have no complaints.
Keshava!


When Mahalakshmi is there with You
To stay on Your chest,
Why should I have any complaints?

I have no complaints, none at all Kannan
I have no complaints, no complaints Govinda
Govinda! Govinda!
Govinda! Govinda!

Here goes the link for the song :-

This song is unusual in several ways. First of all it is a rare composition by a person who is not a regular composer or a musician. Although Rajaji was a popular writer, he was not recognised as a composer. Secondly, unlike other devotional songs which lament the status of the composer and request the Lord to save them (authors) in this and the next life, this song does not lament nor request special favours. Instead, the song describes the contented state of mind of the composer. The composer does not want anything. He is just content with seeing and worshipping the Lord. He just admires the everlasting grace of Lord Venkatesa of Tirupati.
Rajaji does not make any distinction here between Lord Venkatesa of Tirupati and the incarnation Krishna (known as kaNNAn in Thamizh). He uses the names interchangeably. He expresses only a common concept that the Lord, though present in the stone form, is taking care of the needs of the devotees. However, the concept comes out so crystal-clear when one hears the song. Perhaps it is the melody because there is no splendour of diction in this song. The words used are so commonplace.
Another distinctive feature of this song is that this was sung by MS Subbulakshmi at her United Nations concert in 1969 arranged by the then UN Undersecretary-general C V Narasimhan. The song was set to music by Kadayanallur Venkataraman who has worked with MS for decades. It is now a highly popular song in the concert circuit. Almost every musician keeps it in his/her repertoire to be rendered either as a regular item towards the end or to be rendered at the request of the audience.
Rajaji also composed a benediction verse in English to be rendered at the same UN concert by MS.

Presence of god is everywhere as a helper, beauty, clever, nurturer, making good deeds, dharma, creator, realism, judge, etc. When I hear this song I just feel like a calmness, a pride or whatever it may be. I am very much satisfied in this world when I listen to this song.


Obviously, Kurai Ondrum illai!!!

No comments: